Monday, January 4, 2010

Snowmen, sculpture and more snow!!

All of a sudden early this afternoon the snow was just perfect to make snowmen...the temperature had raised to above freezing and the snow got a bit slushy and easy to mold...so out I went and made my local snowperson...coals from the wood stove, an old local carrot nose, James's scarf and hat, arm branches from the nearby spruce....making snowmen is not as easy as you think if you have never made one...quite hard to get them round...not as easy as you see in the movies where you just start rolling a ball and all of a sudden you have the perfect shape...na ah...it takes a lot of frigid fingers and considerable manipulation of the frozen stuff.
Cheeky me went out at dusk and used the flash...I just love how it makes the snowflakes look...I have to tell you when it snows at dusk it is one of the most beautiful things in the world, I just love it, everything gets so blue and silent...I think the blueness actually comes from ultraviolet but I may be making that up!!
Looking through the icicles hanging from the eaves at James' sculpture "Leap, run leaping"...it doesn't look like it but I took this photo at about 11AM...awfully dark isn't it??
The sculpture from the 'back' showing the snow covering sliding down and revealing that lovely red edge......
...and here the delicious curve of the snow which swoops and piles just like sand dunes
...masquerading as a shark!!
...and with a perfect line of snow silhouetting the top edge...there's the flash again!!
Almost a white out!
This one is my favourite, it really captures the feel of the driving snow. I love snowfall...I am not so keen on snow when it has fallen but as it is falling it is magical and enchanting and makes me feel like a kid again.

IN THE DEEP MID WINTER by Christina Rossetti, sister of Dante and muse to the Pre-Raphaelites...first verse and my favourite Christmas carol

In the deep mid winter
Frosty wind made moan
Earth stood hard as iron
Water like a stone
Snow has fallen, snow on snow
Snow on snow
In the deep mid winter
Long ago.

3 comments:

HAWTHORN HALL said...

What what wonderful photos and a beautiful poem which captures the pleasure of a snowfall. I love snow and wish we had some here. Happy New Year to you!

Gillian

Regina said...

Talk about winter wonderland. I love the shot through the icicles! Great sculpture too.

Acornmoon said...

Shiver me timbers, so much snow! I love the icicles.