Saturday, July 12, 2008

Cake, finally cake!

Just so you don't think I am making bogus claims on my banner above, here, at last, is a photo of a cake...and one that I baked myself I am proud to say. It was a maple pecan cake and boy was it good (cakes don't last very long 'round these parts). You can also see a hint of English crumbly toffee hiding beneath the buttercream layer in the middle of the cake, a little extra delight that adds a nice toothiness and extra level of sweet flavour. The alchemy of cakes never ceases to amaze me...from creamy batter, which isn't so bad in and of itself, to a spongey crumbly slice of delight. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! ...and then the buttercream......the reason why I make cakes really.

Did you see "Marie Antoinette"?......A beautiful movie, mostly, in my book, because the desserts looked so spectacularly gorgeous. I spent half the night I rented the dvd trying to freeze frame the images of the cakes and confections just so I could drool...there was also one great pair of shoes in there but that's a whole other blog!

Happy baking! There'll be more cakes, and recipes, coming soon so stop by again!

3 comments:

hyde'nseek said...

My roots come for a bakery, my father being a cake master. I have not followed his footsteps, however can appreciate a good sweet event such as this! I'll check back for recipes.

Acornmoon said...

Save a piece for me! You are clever, I was never very good at baking even when we got a new oven. I used to blame the thermostat on my old cooker. It is very satisfying though, to bake a cake. Maybe I should try again.

Dana and Daisy said...

oh my mouth is watering just reading your description. The toffee part especially!