Friday, March 13, 2009

Melting moments...please!!!


In a desperate attempt to help the mounds of dirty snow dissipate I decided to make one of my favourite cookies which just happen to be called MELTING Moments, also known as Viennese Swirls (does everything in England have more than one name I ask??) These sublime little cookies/biscuits really, honestly do just wisp away in your mouth, it is quite extradorinary how they do it, AND they are very simple to make.
MELTING MOMENTS: From 'Irish Traditional Food' by Theodora FitzGibbon
10oz butter (as always I like mine salted)
2oz icing sugar/confectioner's sugar
8oz sifted all purpose flour
2oz cornflour/cornstarch (same thing on different sides of the pond:))
(for equivalent US measurements check out Sue Palletts link in my web/blogroll in the right hand column aways down from the masthead...thanks!!)
Lashings of vanilla buttercream...or any flavour really, almond would be good, anything flavoured with almond is good in my book.
1. Cream the butter and sugar 'til very light
2. Sift both flours together and add gradually mixing well after each addition.
3. Either pipe the dough as I did in the pictures above (other wise you can't call them Viennese SWIRLS)...or if you don't do the piping thing drop small spoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet.
4. Bake for about 15 minutes at 350F until 'set' and very slightly browned.
5. Cool on a baking rack and then snadwick, or even, sandwich together with your lashings of buttercream.
6. Eat and melt!!!
Happy Baking and melting...Patricia

3 comments:

Candice said...

I am glad to finally know what melting moments are. Years ago I wrote down three dessert names that I liked which were mentioned in an old British or Australian novel. The other two were "fairy cakes" and "lamingtons".

Christy Amular said...

hmmmm yum yum!

Celeste Goulding said...

I had no idea that Melting Moments helped melt snow!