Thursday, July 11, 2013

The various colours of Wild Maine Blueberries

As you can see they're not just blue -at least not to start with - they go through a variety of delightful, mellowed shades from green and almost white through red, lilac and purple to finally end up that beautiful bloomed blue.

As you can also see in the picture above there's a reason why they used to be called Starberries - a name I think should be revived for it's romantic ring.


Blueberry barrens only bear fruit every other year - here's a link to the UMaine information on our wonderful wild berry and click on the name to visit one of our state's growers in Blue Hill, Maine: GM Allen and Son
Even navy blue and magenta...the one below I took at dusk and couldn't quite get the focus but the camera did capture the glow of these berries in the evening light:



I will have a new Blueberry recipe coming as soon as the crop is in probably around August 1st.

 I just recently created this logo for the Etsy Maine Team using a blueberry painting I did some years ago and I created a watercolour painting of the state bird, the Chickadee, especially for the logo:
This the Facebook cover above and the profile picture below:
 and a t-shirt design for the teamies to wear with pride!
And now there's an Etsy Maine Team CafePress shop too - hooray - click HERE! for t-shirts, mugs, bumper stickers and so much more



 This is the original blueberry painting I scanned and used for the background - I will be making an allover print of it soon for my Spoonflower shop.
and my best shot so far of wild Maine blueberries - available as a print in my Etsy shop HERE

These cool blue delphiniums are also blooming right now - their colour always amazes me - such a pure and glistening sky blue with a hint of lavender - so very pretty
Isn't this colour palette just breathtaking with the wild daylilies:
 
This post is part of the Rurality Blog Hop - click the picture link to visit the other participants:
Rurality Blog Hop #22
Follow on Bloglovin

6 comments:

Mollie Ann said...

Aaaaah, lovely, luscious blueberries! Fabulous post, wonderful photos, altogether delightful! :)

Pattern Patisserie said...

Thank you both kindly Mollie and Regine!

Amy Burzese said...

Blueberries are beautiful colors. I didn't know about the Starberry name. I agree. It should be revived!

Meadowfly Farm said...

I love watching the blueberries come to life. I used to have a canine hiking partner who would stop whenever he saw ripe blueberries and pluck them off carefully with his front teeth! It was adorable!
I didn't know they were once called Starberries. I agree that we should absolutely go back to calling them that!
:)

dessert girl said...

Those blueberries are gorgeous!

Pattern Patisserie said...

Thanks everyone for your kind comments - they are certainly impressive this year - I think the harvest will be huge!!